Saturday, June 25, 2011

Friday, June 25th, 1976


Shock of the month! I found out today that contrary to what I've always heard, John and David Wayne are NOT father and son. In fact, they aren't related at all!

Saw William Shatner for the second time this week on THE 20,000 DOLLAR PYRAMID and then later tonight on IRONSIDE. Saw Bernadette on DINAH with Jin Nabors.

Mom was off again today and Dad came home at noon. Heavy rains again all day.

Miss Rona seems to be the only reviewer who wasn't ecstatic about MURDER BY DEATH.

I went through 41 stacks of Marvels to come up with 15 separate titles that I regularly collect not counting the 3 majors.

NOTES: When actor David Wayne appeared as the Mad Hatter on BATMAN in 1966, my parents told me that he was the son of John Wayne so naturally I believed them. Not sure if they read it or mis-read it somewhere or were just making an assumption but they were, of course, incorrect. With Wayne appearing regularly on ELLERY QUEEN at this time in '76, I probably read an article that gave his background. I don't care how old you are, it's always a shock when you find out your parents were wrong about something.

Miss Rona, as noted before, was the standard nickname for gossip columnist/entertainment reporter/film reviewer Rona Barrett. Miss Rona was a regular on GOOD MORNING AMERICA at this time and apparently did not care for the movie I had seen the day before.

Not sure why my mother was off work so much during this period. Her illness was still a few years away so it must have just been her company having a lull period.

1 comment:

  1. I seem to recall she didn't like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" either. That was a pretty good year for movies.

    Alberto Ramirez Jr.

    ReplyDelete