Friday, September 2, 2011

Thursday, Sept 2nd, 1976

A rather boring day this time. Got my Spanish and Composition books finally. Mr. Burns, my Economics teacher, looks and talks like Ray Bolger, only shorter.

Constance actually spoke to ME this time. Just "hello" and "goodbye" but still! She stayed on the bus all the way to the courthouse for a change so I did, also, to see where she went. Turned out she just stayed at the bus stop. Guess she was transferring.

Since I was so close to home, I went on and changed clothes, then went over the river. Bell-Block News had 18 new comics out! After I picked up Wendys, I didn't even have enough for them all!

Had a long talk with Terry tonight about maybe going to see FUTUREWORLD and also something I almost overlooked going through the paper. THE WORLD OF STAR TREK is coming to Riverfront Coliseum. We may go get tickets on Saturday.

NOTES: Ultimately I learned a lot from MR. Burns, only some of it about Economics. In his own way, I think he was more a philosopher than a teacher.

FUTUREWORLD was the now little-remembered sequel to Michael Crichton's WESTWORLD. It starred Henry Fonda's son opposite Gwyneth Paltrow's Mom.

THE WORLD OF STAR TREK was basically Gene Roddenberry making a little money by doing a lecture tour about his by-then phenomenal STAR TREK while Paramount kept spinning its wheels about whether to revive it as a series for their proposed "Fourth Network" or to do it as a feature film. That decision wouldn't be made until after the success of STAR WARS nearly a year later. After that, STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE would become inevitable.

1 comment:

  1. Reader Kevin Wood writes:
    "After reading your comments about FutureWorld, I came across this:
    http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/pixar-before-pixar.html
    I'm enjoying your blog a great deal--keep up the great work."

    ReplyDelete