Saturday, August 6, 2011

Friday, August 6th, 1976

A kind of quiet, laid back day after the expected restless night (naturally). It was full of rain and rain and more rain.

Today is the 50th anniversary of talking pictures! Talkies!

On Tv, I saw the first 2nd season episode of the Monkees and the Mike and Gloria sex episode of ALL IN THE FAMILY.

Got to work early tonight but when I got home the light in my room had burnt out.

Well, so much for my predictions. So far, 17 really ain't so hot. About 50/50 best and worst. Good: McCartney, Omnicon, ODE TO BILLIE JOE, etc....Bad: That jerk at school, girl troubles, yesterday...Hopefully the good will win out going forward.

Dad stayed up real late tonight to watch a ball game from the West Coast that didn't come on 'til 10:30 our time. So I watched MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN and got the distinct impression that if I had been watching every single episode from the beginning I still wouldn't be able to get into it.

NOTES: Interesting that I considered Omnicon such a major highlight when I really kind of wimped out on it after only a few hours. And "girl troubles?" The only girl troubles I was having was that I had no girls!

"The Talkies!" This was what they called the earliest talking pictures. THE JAZZ SINGER is generally considered the first and was most likely what they were celebrating the anniversary if on this date. As with most things, what is considered the first isn't necessarily the first. There were other experiments with talking movies prior to its 1927 release. In fact, there isn't that much talking in THE JAZZ SINGER at all, mostly singing. Star Al Jolson reportedly ad-libbed the line, "You ain't heard nothin' yet." Truer words have rarely ever been spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment