Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wednesday, August 4th, 1976


Slept 'til 10 again. When I got up I started working on the puzzle again but still isn't done.

Rick still didn't call but I went over the river to Bell Block and picked up all the new books. Will go back and hit King's tomorrow.

No trouble at all avoiding HUSTLER over there today. I think maybe my interest has been saturated and now I can really be done with it. In fact, I've been thinking of giving up on girls all together. As much as I'd like to be "normal" that way, I really am different I guess. I really can't see myself acting the way guys who actually have girlfriends act! I can't drive, I hate sports. All I could take a girl to would be movies or maybe a concert but even then we'd have to take the bus and most likely she'd have to go on home alone. Damn! Movies would have to be daytime and again only at certain theaters we could get to by walking or by the bus. And if she had an after-school job I'd probably never see her anyway. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a blessing and a curse to be different.

NOTES: What can I say? It was an introspective time. I knew what I wanted and I felt like I could never have it.

By the way, the number one song in the US for the entire month of August in '76 was "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" by Elton John with Kiki Dee! Okay, fine, it's kind of disco-y and I'm on record as not liking disco music but I LOVED that song! This was toward the end of Elton's reign as arguably the most successful rocker of the early seventies. He had formed his own record company, Rocket Records, and signed singer Kiki Dee. Already a veteran of some fifteen years in the music business, her duet with Elton made her, for a while at least, a household name in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment