Monday, August 8, 2011

Sunday, Aug 8th, 1976

Ray Bradbury wrote that in order to be a writer, one must write every single day of one's life. Today Mom bought me a spiral notebook with Marvel characters on it that I intend to use as a journal like in CW. I've decided also to concentrate greater on writing than on any artistic talents I might have.

In spite of what I just wrote, I began an Avengers portrait series, the first three of which turned out fair.

90 minutes of Beatles music on 94 tonight!

Those dumb kids were up to their roof-hopping again!

I finished with that history puzzle and checked it!

I've been thinking about getting out my Hot Wheels tracks again for the first time in a few years. May do that tomorrow.

Terry called and gave away the ending of yet another ELLERY QUEEN episode I've missed, damn it!

I've also committed myself to taking the bus out to the Village Theater tomorrow night to catch the movie I skipped this weekend but because of SS work, I probably can't go. Who knows? Maybe I'll see SILENT MOVIE instead.

Mom ordered me a baseball ticket along with theirs for an October 3rd game. I may not go but i guess better to have a ticket than not just in case.

NOTE: I think the movie I'm still trying to see at the Village was THE SHOOTIST. It must have been held over. Eventually I did see SILENT MOVIE also.

Ray Bradbury had become my favorite author when my 8th grade English teacher had let me keep a couple of his paperbacks from the classroom. By this point, 3 years later, I had read most of his books. I remember that Marvel journal and may still have it somewhere but can't recall what I used it for or what "CW" was/is.

"Those dumb kids" probably weren't always the same ones but every once in a while some kids climbed up on the flat roof of the single-story Social Security office next door where I worked and just ran around. I have to admit I had done it over the years myself but it was different when I was on the payroll I felt more proprietary about it.

I do still have the Avengers portraits I did and will try to scan them now that the scanner is partly working again...sorta...from time to time.

I had really been into Hot Wheels from 1969 until about 1974 but I clearly hadn't hauled all my track out of the closet for quite awhile by this point in '76. At some point not long after this, my mother asked if she could give my entire hot wheels collection to her co-worker's younger son as he had few toys. I said yes. Yes, sometimes I wish I'd still had them to sell for zillions on eBay but no, I made the right choice. I hope that kid was happy with 'em.

2 comments:

  1. I think by CW, you may have meant Creative Writing, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest creative writing as well...

    ReplyDelete