Friday, February 4, 2011

Wednesday, February 4th, 1976


All day long felt pretty good. Not a bad day at all.

At school we scheduled for next year. It was kinda tough. I don't know what half the stuff I took was but I'll find out next year. I managed pretty well to keep out of things otherwise. With practice, maybe I can get back to being an individual again.

Over the river I picked up the new FM and just a couple of other things. All day long I expected this would be a day for "It" but I somehow managed to avoid the whole thing.

My biggest worry now is those damned pictures!

NOTES: To give you an idea of just how little today's troubles are likely to matter to you in the future, I have no idea what "those damned pictures" were. Certainly, no one had taken any "compromising" photos of me nor had I run across any of friends or family. School pictures? Magazine pictures? Not. A. Clue. It does strike me that I felt strongly enough about them to use the term, "damned," not a word I used lightly at any point. Reading ahead a few days gives no additional clues. Let's see if we ever find out....

FM was FAMOUS MONSTERS magazine, a monthly mag devoted to classic old monster films and new horror movies. It had been published since around the time I was born but I hadn't discovered it until I was about 12. Ostensibly aimed at kids, it instilled a love of monster movies but also a great respect for genre actors like Karloff, Lugosi, the Chaneys, Peter Lorre, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, John Carradine and others. As the industry began to change so completely in the seventies, the magazine became dated and faded away, replaced by gorier cousins such as FANGORIA. The issue of FM seen here MAY have been the one I bought on this date.

No comments:

Post a Comment