Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sunday, February 8th, 1976


GOODBYE BRUCE LEE was advertised in the paper today. Starts Wednesday downtown. I gave up on seeing ROOSTER COGBURN today for lack of time. I did catch FUZZ again on TV this afternoon.

We went to church together today for the first time this year. All during church I found myself vividly recalling the fun times I used to have at Debbie's house when we were kids. Can't I ever get past her? We got White Castles to take home for lunch afterwards.

I started going through my old TBG's and cutting out the article sections and the good covers.

After I washed my hair I felt good for a while despite a headache and the chest pains I've had recently.

As far as all my homework, I got exactly one Physics problem completed and my notebook remodeled. Otherwise...

SONNY AND CHER was really good tonight. Raymond Burr talked WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND on the show. Nothing special on later so we watched KOJAK.

Mom's off work all this next week.

NOTES: I had been a big Bruce Lee fan even before his big starring roles toward the end of his life in 1973. I knew that he had shot some scenes for a film called GAME OF DEATH with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and we had been hearing rumors that the film would be completed with a double. With Jabbar listed as being in the film, this looked like it was finally it! It wasn't. This turned out to be yet another Bruce Li (or was it Bruce Le?) rip-off. The real thing would finally turn up a few years later and it was even worse!

FUZZ is a great 1972 police drama based on Ed McBain's 87th Precinct books. It was wrongly marketed as a comedy and stars Burt Reynolds and Raquel Welch.

By this point, I was attending church very infrequently. Although raised a Baptist, I had long since found myself questioning those beliefs and no one ever gave me an answer that made sense to me. My mother went about half the time and my dad went pretty regularly. In later years, as both fell ill, they turned to the church even more.

As for the TBG's, it became obvious that storing years and years of a weekly 100 page tabloid with ads that have long expired was pointless as well as logistically challenging. Thus, I opted to save articles and favorite covers by Terry Beatty, Fred Hembeck, Russ Maheras and others, many of whom have become friends of mine here in the Internet age!

WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND is a lovely song by Michel LeGrand from the 1968 Steve McQueen film, THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR. Noel Harrison kind of talked-sang it in the original film. Raymond Burr, to be kind, was no Noel Harrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment