Friday, March 25, 2011

Thursday, March 25th, 1976


Some really great things today and then some real downers to balance 'em out. First off, since it's the reason we're off today...we LOST the game. There go the chances for another holiday soon. Dad stayed home to listen to the game even.

Got a sick stomach from coneys dad brought home this morning and that kind of lasted the rest of the day.

Since I was off, though, I went to see DOG DAY AFTERNOON at the Skywalk, easily the best flick I've seen so far this year. I wore my new jacket and it worked out okay. Afterwards, I picked up all the new comics and HUSTLER at Book Market. Doesn't even seem that interesting this month. I think this time maybe I will be able to convince myself to quit buying it.

They stayed late next door tonight so we got a late start. Got home in time to catch Stefanie Powers on STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO though. Always fun to see her.

Talked to Terry, too, and he told me he DID get to see Elvis!

Damn. From very good to very bad. Still glad I had the day off.

NOTES: I rarely have gastrointestinal issues from Cincinnati-style chili. In fact, as odd as it seems, it sometimes actually settles my stomach. This day was apparently an exception.

The Book Market was the largest book and magazine store in downtown Cincinnati. It was on the back side of Fountain Square. Eventually, it closed but quickly re-opened as the very first B. Dalton bookstore I ever saw. The man who ran the Book Market (owned it?) resurfaced as the Manager of Queen City Books, a more intimate bookstore that opened a block away. Years later, one of MY ex-employees at Waldenbooks would become the Assistant Manager of Queen City Books.

DOG DAY AFTERNOON had just moved downtown from the outlying theaters where it had opened late in 1975. This was the tense and amazing Al Pacino bank robber tale. I had been a Pacino fan since SCARECROW, a now more-or-less forgotten film with Gene Hackman of a couple of years earlier.

Downtown's Skywalk Cinema where I saw it was my favorite theater. At a time when most theaters were still single screen, it had a double screen. For a while, I went almost every weekend, mostly on Sunday afternoons. Their ticket prices were only two dollars a flick.

The Skywalk, still there but now more-or-less abandoned, was a fun series of overhead walkways that stretched all across the downtown Cincinnati area and had its own businesses, restaurants and stores.


1 comment:

  1. The Streets of San Francisco episode with Stef Powers is a repeat of "No Place to Hide" (s04e03 OAD September 25 1975). Rewatched it, great episode full of character actors I grew to know in my 70's binge (Chris Robinson, Paul Carr, Michael Bell, Todd Martin, Ben Frank, Charles Napier)

    ReplyDelete