Monday, March 21, 2011

Sunday March 21st, 1976


A weird feeling all day knowing that Elvis was literally just a river away. Wow. So strange.

I spent most of the day typing up NIGHT CRUISE TO HELL (its new title!) from my handwritten version. I rewrote it a bit as I went and I think it turned out really well!

I also started rearranging my room and almost played out my newBeatles tape while doing that.

Later on television, oddly enough, I watched THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF RADIO!

NOTES: I remain confused why I would turn down a chance to see Elvis just a year later when I was obviously quite reverential at this point. Terry's no help as he swears I actually DID see Elvis with him in 1977. Nope. I'd remember if I saw Elvis.

I still have NIGHT CRUISE TO HELL and even some of my original notes. I'll see if I can dig them up and post them.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF RADIO was a PBS broadcast of a dinner that had been given back in February for hundreds of old-time radio stars. Steve Allen hosted the event and dozens of familiar-voiced actors such as Hal Peary (The Great Gildersleeve) and Eddie (Rochester) Anderson spoke or did a little schtick. Intended as nostalgia for older folks, it served to fuel my growing interest in the medium. Eventually, a little more than ten years later, I would start more than two decades of appearing onstage alongside some of those same old stars, performing in re-creations of their old scripts annually at the Cincinnati Old-Time Radio and Nostalgia Convention.

1 comment:

  1. "Night Cruise To Hell"...is that aboard the S.S. Damned?!? Look forward to reading this! Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete