Sunday, March 13, 2011

Saturday, March 13th, 1976


Well, we thought Spring had come a bit early this year but snow began this morning and more than once evolved into a near blizzard! Once while I was out in it!

Went over the river and got some good stuff including a special issue of CREEM that gave me my first look at the Beatles' "butcher cover." Also got OH WICKED WANDA and finally picked up WEIRD HEROES vol 1. Wanda perhaps inevitably led to IT but I'm still glad I got it. It's satirical, titillating, exciting and hilarious, too.

I spent most of the rest of the day curled up in bed reading all the mags and comics and books I got while I was out in the snowstorm.

NOTES: I still have that issue of CREEM that featured on its cover the still-jarring "butcher cover" that famously showed the Fab Four in a rare moment of true tastelessness.

Likewise I still have OH! WICKED WANDA. It was more a book than a magazine. OH! WICKED WANDA was a painted comic strip by UK creators that appeared in PENTHOUSE and was essentially the dark side version of Kurtzman and Elder's LITTLE ANNIE FANNY in PLAYBOY. It wasn't really hilarious...or even all that funny...or dirty. But then neither was LITTLE ANNIE FANNY in spite of its pedigree. Mostly it was topical political and social satire and was drawn by Ron Embleton who I later learned was one of the greats of British comics.

As I write this in 2011, we have once again just had a fair amount of snow overnight.

1 comment:

  1. We still have WEIRD HEROES and OH, WICKED WANDA here in the Temple archives, but our CREEM issues bit the dust a long time ago, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete