Friday, May 6, 2011

Thursday, May 6th, 1976


I almost decided to stay home today but I went. Talked myself into going. Not a bad day in the long run. More of an average day.

Mr. Spurlock said that three of his students made it into HORIZONS. I sure hope I'm one!

At school we watched a documentary on Dr. Sam Sheppard.

I wrote today's journal entry on Sherlock Holmes.

Saw an add for a new sci-fi mag paying for short stories--a penny per every two words. I certainly plan on submitting some of mine.

Hopefully I can get Mom to call Greyhound and make the arrangements to get to Louisville tomorrow.

Saw Vincent Price on TV tonight in "A Portable Feast(sic)."

NOTES: I am at a total loss as to what I watched with Vinnie that evening. I find several things entitled A PORTABLE FEAST but none with Mr. Price. I find nothing with Vincent Price that was listed as airing on a national level that evening. Not a clue. Enjoyed it enough to note it here, I guess.

Dr. Sam Sheppard was an Ohio man convicted of killing his wife in 1954. The conviction was overturned a decade later and he was controversially exonerated in a new trial after years in prison. What we actually watched that day was NOT a documentary but, in fact, a docudrama TV movie that had originally aired a year before starring future A-TEAM star George Peppard as Dr. Sam.

4 comments:

  1. Dr. Sam Sheppard, the inspiration for "The Fugitive", if I'm not mistaken. PBS aired the entire tv series when I was in high school in the '80's. I enjoyed it greatly, but was disappointed by the series finale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, what you remember as "A Portable Feast" was most likely an episode of the PBS series "Anyone for Tennyson?", which ran from 1976 to 1978. It had various actors (like Henry Fonda, Claire Bloom, Jack Lemmon, William Shatner, Fred Gwynne, and James Whitmore, as well as Vincent Price), reciting poems in locations appropriate to the material, and was produced by the Nebraska Educational TV Network. There's a DVD anthology with a lot of the episodes, titled "The Poetry Hall of Fame."

    Price's 1976 episode was titled "A Poetic Feast" (you were close!) and was filmed in Lincoln, Nebraska.

    Mike C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you are correct, sir! Thanks! And thanks for the donation. Glad you're enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember watching the episode of Anyone For Tennyson with Vincent Price, called "A Poetic Feast", on WUCF-TV, in Orlando, Florida. (The station was known as WMFE-TV at that time.) I wish that someone would find a video of that episode and post it on YouTube or the PBS TV app so that I could see it again and download it to the app playlist.

    ReplyDelete