Monday, May 2, 2011

Sunday, May 2nd, 1976


On a slightly rainy day, I had a most enjoyable time rediscovering George Reeves' SUPERMAN from spending the whole day reading the new book I got yesterday. I have a feeling he'll stay a hero of mine for a long time to come. I just wish they'd rerun those shows. I haven't seen them in years.

NOTES: As I wrote yesterday, THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN had been an early TV favorite. This book revived my interest in it even though it hadn't been seen in local reruns for at least five or six years...which is a long time to a teenager.

In 1988, I attended my one and only San Diego ComicCon. It was the year of Superman's 50th anniversary. As part of a celebration (in spite of the fact that Jerry Siegel, the character's creator, had to cancel due to illness), a relatively small number of us fans gathered in an out of the way room to watch some of the first season, black and white episodes of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN on VHS. After a couple of episodes, the lights came up and Lois lane and Inspector Henderson--Phyllis Coates and Robert Shayne-- had snuck into the room bringing a giant "S" symbol shaped birthday cake for the Man of Steel! Everyone got some cake and we all settled in to watch a couple more episodes...this time with live commentary from actors who were there!

No comments:

Post a Comment