Saturday, April 23, 2011

Friday, April 23rd, 1976


We got to see an army band in concert at school and they were really, really good! I didn't care for where I ended up having to sit, though. We got out at 3 but there was no bus 'til 3:15 anyway.

Dad brought home the New York newspaper for the first time in years. So nice to see all the classic comic strips again.

I saw STAR TREK again.

Eddie Mitchell left SS for good apparently.

I found out that I will have to tae two busses and a cab to get to the Con. Hope it doesn't cost too much because that will have to come out of my book money. At first I was going to get off the bus at Sharon Road but then there's still be a long walk and I'm not sure exactly where to so I decided it would make more sense to go all the way out to the Tri-County Mall on the bus, then call a cab. Probably closer in the end. It'll take a while to get there and I'll have to start back no later than 4 so I'll have to work fast. As expected, Terry won't be able to go because of his new job.

NOTES: Eddie Mitchell was one of the regular employees at the Social Security Office where we cleaned up after hours.

I'm not sure why I wasn't watching STAR TREK more often during this period.

I finally had my transportation to the Comic Con all figured out. As I've said, in those pre-driving days, I pretty much had to schedule entire days for what would otherwise have been a brief trip. Taking into account time waiting for the bus and the cab, the trip I was about to take ended up taking about two and a half hours each way. Today--assuming one could afford any gas--that same trip would have taken me about 20 minutes if the traffic was light.
For a while in the early 1970's, my dad would regularly pick up a copy of the new York Sunday News, a practice I continued for a couple years. We pretty much trashed the regular newspaper part but he and I both loved the comics...and for some reason they were printed a full week earlier than in our paper! Never understood that. They had DICK TRACY, LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE, SMOKEY STOVER, RICK O'SHAY and even the Sunday PEANUTS which wasn't carried locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment