Saturday, January 22, 2011

Thursday, January 22nd, 1976



11:00 PM

School was basically normal. We read an Agatha Christie in Mystery Class. Got all A's again on report card except for one C. My first C ever on a report card. UGH! Physics, of course. We were also given info on next year's courses.

Got the new TBG in the mail and picked up a Laurel and Hardy History in Cincy. Got some Wendy's, too.

Everybody left the Social Security Office early tonight so we got to go over and clean early. Got done in only an hour for a change.

Watched Mary Tyler Moore's special tonight. That was weird.

NOTES: I really tried in Physics but I just never seemed to catch on. Doc tried a couple of times at my request to go over stuff with me after class to try to help but nothing worked. Having been a straight A student all through school this really bothered me. As previously stated, I don't feel he was the best teacher ever but I'm not placing all the blame on him. I just seemed incapable of completely grasping the concepts for some reason.

The Mary Tyler Moore special was this truly weird musical hour about angels and devils and philosophy and time and...It was called MARY'S INCREDIBLE DREAM. It featured Ben Vereen, the Manhattan Transfer, superfast fiddler Doug Kershaw and Boston Pops conductor Arthur Fiedler (as God more or less). Although she still had her Saturday night sitcom, this was an ambitious step for Mary but in retrospect it was also a pretentious, over-inflated mess that is now almost completely forgotten.

Seen above is the Laurel and Hardy book I purchased o this date in 1976. It isn't the best of the books on the boys but at that time pickings were slim. To scan it just now, I pulled it down from a shelf where it resides with a dozen or so better Laurel and Hardy books picked up over the years.

3 comments:

  1. Found and watched Mary's Incredible Dream; it was surreal! Aside from a few moments it was not at all the 70's variety trope-fest that can easily make me cringe to this day! (Reminded me of a prime example of pure cringe, the 1981 special Anson Williams did with his co-star/newly-wedded wife Lorrie Mahaffey. Seek-it-out and check-it-out if you dare!)

    Preceding Mary's was a great 2hr episode of The Waltons "The Burn Out", fire at the Walton house! Exemplary performances from the entire ensemble across-the-board.

    Also this night was the re-shifting of 2 ABC shows back-to-back that prompted this PR photo that's been very popular with the TV nostalgia FB pages (and Tumblr and Pinterest...):

    [img]https://i.imgur.com/rQnulyB.jpg[/img]

    (...or if that didn't work)

    https://imgur.com/rQnulyB

    Rewatched both episodes: Welcome Back Kotter "Follow the Leader (Part 2 of 2)" and Barney Miller "Sniper"
    (**curious if you recall the grouping of the Sweathogs and the 12th Precinct as a live-action promo for ABC's "new night and time"...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but think you missed the point. I GOT A "C!" :P

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I don't frequent your blog to drudge back those fond "report card" memories... :P

      Delete