Tuesday, January 18, 2011

****EXTRA-The Complete Sherlock Holmes****


2011-Seeing as how I reference it quite a lot in these early 1976 posts I thought I'd dig out my 1975 Christmas present from my parents, THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES. I had become a Holmes fan through the constant showing of the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce movies on Cincinnati's WXIX in the early seventies so the next logical step was to read the actual stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. As now, when I develop a new obsession, I wanted it all immediately. Thus I put in a holiday request for this volume, spotted at Kidd's Bookstore in downtown Cincinnati. And there it was under the tree! I read it religiously at first, then got a bit burnt out on Sherlock. Still. I would return to him throughout the years and many, many times since.

2 comments:

  1. this is the same book I once owned and I read every word. I now own 2 versions of the Annoted Sherlock Holmes and have the set on Donna's Kindle too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this exact same copy which I inherited from my grandmother. Someone had given it to her as a Christmas gift, but I don't believe she ever read it. She loved mysteries, but she leaned more toward the seedier stories as told in such magazines as True Crime and True Dectecive which always seemed to feature a scantily clad woman being threatened by some brute. Sometimes I wonder about grandma...

    ReplyDelete